Lenovo computers with white-listed WI-FI adapters — Peach OSI\\\\\\\'s Forum
frame

Greetings!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In Register

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

This version of our Forum is brand new. We have imported our previous forum entries so not all dates and users are included.

Lenovo computers with white-listed WI-FI adapters

Copied and Posted here from a conversation on Facebook Message Posts - in the hopes that my conversation with Jan might be of help to someone else with similar problems..
May 7th, 1:31am
Jan Brøndum Johansson
Jan
Hi guys, I love Peach OSI but have some problems with WiFi, So I wanted to make a thread in your forum - but how to register? I looked all over the place and there is no place to register for the forum.
May 7th, 8:27am
Peach OSI
There is no need to register. Comments can be made without registration. We had to remove the capability to register over a year ago due to over a thousand attempts per hour to register and then spam our site. All comments are now narrated and must be approved prior to going live. This was the only way to stop the wasted bandwidth used by a whole lot of nefarious bogus users who leave nothing but links to anything from products to sexually oriented materials.
Sent by Jim Carpenter
Peach OSI
By the way. On the desktop of every Peach distribution there is a "Read Me" file. About half way down in that file is a category for help for WIFI connections. See if that information helps you. If not feel free to post to the website or here with any question.
Sent by Jim Carpenter
May 7th, 8:11pm
Jan Brøndum Johansson
Jan
Hi again, I have already been through your Read Me,and my issue is not there: I have a Mediatek (ralink) MT7601U nano usb adapter that I finally got set up on this Lenovo 3000 V100(internal WiFi ids failing and Bios whitelist prevents use of other cards). The problem with the Usb WiFi is that every time I boot into Peach I have to go and enable WiFi before I can get a connection, and sometimes I have to reboot without the usb WiFi before Peach will enable WiFi - I have used enough Linux distro's to know that is not normal. So how to fix, so that when starting up the WiFi is enabled by default? BTW, I switched to Peach from Debian Dog because they removed too many standard things from it - like make, Disks, sudo, Uers and groups and more - An because I helped my friend set it up on his netbook and he loves it. I have been around Linux for long time but as a normal user, all command line is not me, I like graphical interface. Many of the commands I can't remember, and I never understood how Linux programmers can expect windows users to switch from graphical to command, its like going back to use stones instead of a lighter. Back 95 when I first saw Linux, there were a nice system called Gecko, but it got couched by MS. It were build like a sunflower, with the OS in the middle and all other things as leaves(attachments) so nothing would touch or corrupt the OS, but instead work with it - that was nice. I'm an retired IT-consultant through 26 years, windows support and custom HW builds - Linux is for my sake, not for anyone else.
Jan Brøndum Johansson
Jan
sorry for typo's its dark here and my lighter is failing(maybe some stones will be handy now)
May 7th, 10:59pm
Peach OSI
Lol. I've been at this stuff since 1973 when a small a computer would fill a double car garage sized room (some were as big as a city block back then). I have my three grand daughters here tonight but in the morning I will research your WiFi issue and get back to you.
Sent by Jim Carpenter
May 8th, 10:01am
Peach OSI
It's going to be a few more hours before I can do a solid investigation of your issue. I do have one question. You mentioned that your BIOS was failing on your Lenovo. All BIOS systems are kept initiated by a small battery. Have you thought to check or replace that battery? Occam's Razor says that the simplest answer to a question is usually the correct one.
Sent by Jim Carpenter
Peach OSI
The second simplest solution might be that if you can access your BIOS - you should disable the onboard WiFi or else Peach may be trying to setup and control your onboard WiFi.
Also. Sometimes just removing the above stated BIOS battery will reset a corrupted BIOS. I often use this method when BIOS has been infected with a virus.
Sent by Jim Carpenter
May 8th, 10:39pm
Jan Brøndum Johansson
Jan
Hi again, thank you for that, but I did not say that my bios were failing, its not. Lenovo put a whitelist in it so that you can't change the internal WiFi card to any kind - only the ones you buy from Lenovo - so when the internal WiFi started failing, I substituted it for an LB-Link Nano USB BL-WN151 (Mediatek MT7601U/Ralink 2870sta) and it works most of the time, except for the issues I started with: Every time I boot into Peach I have to go systray and Enable WiFi before I can get a connection(the internal card just did that automatically - the usb doesn't - the internal card is disabled by switch on left side of laptop(this also disables Bluetooth)), and sometimes I have to reboot without the usb WiFi, and then re-insert it after startup - before Peach will enable WiFi. That's is the problem. I would like for the usb WiFi to get registered at startup and then peach automatically log onto the internet.
May 9th, 11:21am
Peach OSI
Have you tried this : https://www.techinferno.com/index.php?/forums/topic/3546-lenovo-y410p-y510p-unlocked-bios-wlan-whitelist-mod-vbios-mod/

Lenovo Y410p / Y510p - unlocked BIOS / wlan whitelist mod / vbios mod

For those who don't like the restrictions Lenovo put on their system, here's a BIOS mod that will get you back at least some of the freedom you should ha...

techinferno.com
Be sure to read the above entire article and view the short video. Also be sure to backup your BIOS if you should decide to proceed.

Comments

• Be sure to read the above entire article and view the short video. Also be sure to backup your BIOS if you should decide to proceed.
    Sent by Jim Carpenter
    May 11th, 8:28am
    Peach OSI
    What did you decide to do?
    Sent by Jim Carpenter
    Sat 1:45am
    Jan Brøndum Johansson
    Jan
    Hi, sorry I have been very busy lately - I got Serg008 in My digital Life Forum to help me out with a modified non-whitelist bios, but couldn't get the bootcd to boot, turned out to be fake cd-r's from the local pc shop - not first time they have sold something fake. But the bios is flashed now and the other mini-pci card is working. I had a little bit trouble in the start because the cards are 99% identical and therefore Peach thought that it were still the same card, so I had to sudo apt-get update - sudo apt-get upgrade - sudo apt-get install linux-firmware-nonfree and modprobe everything that had to do with the card - set my pocket WiFi to 11bg mixed instead of 11bgn mixed - set the pocket WiFi to channel 9 and region to the Philippines - set network manger to ignore ipv6. I'm not sure why it worked, but now its not disconnecting every 5 minutes in peach(it worked fine in Win7, no disconnection at all). The USB WiFi Goes on the shelf, to be used with a windows pc one day in the future(its clearly not suited for linux). Thank you for your time on this:)
    Jan Brøndum Johansson
    Jan
    I do have some questions for you: Is Peach build on Ubuntu and then XFCE4 added or is it build on Xubuntu or your own compilation? I'm in the Philippines right now but will be in Denmark in the beginning of June, the Remastersys in preferences, is that for making a copy of the current install?
    Sun 12:37pm
    Peach OSI
    In answer to your questions.. Peach is built on Xubuntu with a lot of customizations. Sometime in July we will post our Peach distro offerings with 16.04 upgrades. In those offering all Peach distros will include our own personal support for smart phone file transfers, automated upgraded flash support and native support for NVidia graphics cards. Remastersys is a program that can be used to not only create an ISO backup of your Peach system but it can also be used to create your own Linux Debian/Ubuntu distro. Just remember that your backup or distro ISO is limited to 4GB in overall size not only with Remastersys but with the ISO acceptable limitation size as well. Now I have a question of you. I am sure that in the future we will experience similar issues for others with Lenovo computers and their having a white-listed BIOS concerning WIFI adapters. I am asking you if I have your permission to post our conversations from here to our website so that this information is available in a more archived - searchable way - should the need for it ever arise in the future? I am sure that there will be others that this information might be of great help. For future reference for a working USB WIFI dongle for Linux I would suggest a ZyXEL dongle model NWD2105. We have used this particular dongle and suggested it for a couple of years without ever having any issues.
    Sent by Jim Carpenter
    Thu 8:35pm
    Jan Brøndum Johansson
    Jan
    Hi again, yes that is fine with me, just post the conversation:) I have an usb dongle in Denmark from smc and I will try it out next time I'm back in the Philippines - which most likely will be in start of December this year. I'm leaving the laptop here, and will be using my Thinkpad R61 or R500 in Denmark, have to try out first before deciding which one. The R500 is currently running Win10 but I will be switching permanently to Linux as soon as I have found substitute programs for my stuff:) I really like Peach OSI. I hope it can upgrade to 16.04 without issues.